Risk-Free Returns & Exchanges + Lifetime Guarantee
Jewelry shopping can be intimidating. That’s why we started Ask Holden, our blog where we answer your FAQs, break down scary industry lingo, and guide you in finding the perfect piece of jewelry.
Here at Holden, we make ring shopping easy by sending free ring size kits directly to your door. It’s a great way to get an accurate reading of your ring size at home before purchasing a wedding or engagement ring. Make sure you know your ring size before ordering - sending an improperly sized ring back for resizing can be frustrating if you’re excited to rock your new ring.
The contents of your kit include a plastic ring sizer as well as a width guide. Measuring your ring size at home is easy if you follow our step-by-step guide!
Before you begin, make sure you’re measuring the correct finger. In the United States, wearing your wedding ring on the fourth finger of your left hand is common, but it varies in different cultures. At the end of the day it's totally up to you and your partner to decide! It’s also important to measure the correct hand, as the fingers on your dominant hand tend to be bigger than the corresponding fingers on your non-dominant hand.
The reason your ring traditionally goes on your left ring finger? This goes all the way back to Ancient Rome - Romans believed that this finger had a vein that connected directly to your heart - also known as the “vena amoris.” We’ve since learned that this vein doesn’t actually exist, but the romantic idea persists, and the tradition has remained! If you want to learn more, make sure to check out our post on which hand your wedding ring goes on.
How to Use a Ring Sizer
1. Take the tip of the ring sizer and push it through the buckle to make a loop (it’s like a belt!).
2. Put the loop on your finger.
3. Once the loop is on your finger, pull the end of the belt to tighten the loop around your finger.
4. This next step is the most important - the sizer must be able to come on and off your finger (like a ring would). You should feel resistance when sliding it past your knuckle, but it should be able to come on and off. If this is possible, the ring fits - comfortable doesn’t mean loose. It’s important that the ring fits snugly, otherwise it will be too big on your finger.
@holdenrings How to use our plastic ring size belt ✨ #jewelry #weddingplanning #ring #nyc #fyp ♬ pastel skies - Rook1e
5. To read your finger size, take a look at the arrow on the buckle. The line on the right edge of a number indicates a full size (i.e. if your correct size is to the right of the number 7, you’re a size 7). The line on the left edge of a number indicates a half size (if it’s pointing to the left of the number 7, you’re a 6.5).
Note: The ring sizer measures in half sizes, but we can accommodate quarter and three-quarter sizes as well - send us an email at email@example.com.
Now that you’ve found the perfect fit, it’s time to determine the width you’d like your ring to be. Can’t decide if you want a wide ring or something narrower? Our ring sizing guide includes a width guide so you can see our various widths on your own finger.
How to Use the Holden Width Guide
1. Cut the width guide included in your sizing kit.
2. Wrap each width around your finger to see which is best for you!
3. If you’re looking for an in-between width, feel free to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org - someone on our design team can get the process started for you!
Are there other ways to measure a ring finger? While some sites might recommend a printable ring sizer or a piece of string to measure your finger at home, we don’t love these techniques as they are extremely unreliable. We encourage you to use a ring size kit for the most accurate fit - and ours is free! You can sign up here.
Do you know your ring size on a different sizing scale, but not your United States ring size? We’ve included an international ring size chart at the bottom of this email for your convenience. Trying to find someone’s ring size without them knowing? Be sure to check out our blog post on how to secretly find a ring size.
If you want to look at engagement rings and/or wedding bands with your partner, but you still want that element of surprise, we’ve even had partners set up their sizer in a loop and put it in a box as a gift! This way, you can surprise your partner, and the two of you can look at rings together once you know the perfect fit.
What does comfort fit mean?
You might have noticed on our website that our rings are “comfort fit.” But what exactly does that mean? Comfort fit just means that your ring is ever so slightly curved on the inside, which makes the ring more comfortable to wear. You’ll be wearing it every day for the rest of your life, so it’s important that it’s comfortable!
“Standard fit” means that the ring is completely flat on the inside, but this can feel less comfortable on your finger. Comfort fit is also easier to take on and off, as it slips over your knuckle more easily. Learn more in our blog post on comfort fit wedding rings.
Of course, if you’d prefer for your ring to be standard fit, we’re happy to help. Feel free to send an email to email@example.com, and someone on our customer support team can get you started with a custom order.
Got any additional questions about our ring sizer? Check out this video with detailed instructions. And don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have questions or need help!