Jewelry shopping can be intimidating. That’s why we started Ask HOLDEN, our blog where we answer your FAQs, break down scary industry lingo, and guide you in finding the perfect piece of jewelry.
If you’re looking to figure out your ring size or learn more about the ring resizing process, then you’ve come to the right place! Ring sizing can be rather tricky, especially if you haven’t worn much jewelry before. Here’s a breakdown of everything you need to know.
Here at HOLDEN, we size all of our rings on the standard US and Canadian sizing scale. The sizing is universal for all genders (e.g. there is no such thing as a ring size chart for women only) and go up in half size increments starting from 0. If you’re in between half sizes, quarter sizes are possible -- just email us here! Countries outside of the US and Canada use different ring size guides. Here is a ring size chart which includes European ring sizes and mm to ring size conversions.
Our free ring size kit is the easiest way to accurately determine your ring size from the comfort of your own home! So how should a ring fit? How tight should a ring be? When you feel that the ring is snug in the final wearing position, and you feel resistance when you slide it past your knuckle, then you’ve found your proper ring size.
There is no such thing as an average ring size for men or an average ring size for women as each individual is unique. One interesting fact is that for most people, each finger on their dominant hand will be about a quarter or half size larger than the corresponding finger on their non-dominant hand!
How to Resize a Ring
The ring resizing process is fairly simple. If the ring needs to be resized up to a larger size, it is placed on a mandrel and stretched. If it needs to be resized down, it is placed in a base plate and compressed. In some cases, depending on the design of the ring, the band will be cut and a small amount of metal will be added or removed before being soldered back together and polished, leaving no indication of the original cut. In most cases, rings can be resized up or down one full size from the original size.
How Much Does It Cost to Resize a Ring?
At HOLDEN, we offer free resizing for life through our lifetime guarantee. Prices for getting a ring resized at other jewelers can vary at around $50 - $80.
How Long Does It Take to Resize a Ring?
It takes us about two weeks from receiving the ring to having it arrive back at your door.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Each time a ring is resized, the ring loses material and can become weaker. We don’t recommend resizing your ring more than once in order to maintain the ring’s maximum integrity.
- Some rings, like full eternity bands or rings with intricate designs, cannot be resized.
- The size of your finger can swell or shrink by about a quarter size day to day due to changes in the weather, temperature, and amount of physical activity, and up to a half size due to the changing of seasons.
- If at first wear, your ring feels a bit tight or loose, we recommend wearing it for a few weeks to see if you find it fitting a bit better under different conditions.
- There is a tendency, especially if you aren’t used to wearing rings, to overestimate your size. Furthermore, the vast majority of our resizing requests are to size down. If you feel you are in between sizes, we recommend going with the smaller size.
Want to read more? Check out some other recent blog posts:
Questions? Shoot us an email at email@example.com or give us a ring at 917.719.3634.
Photo courtesy of Dawn Joseph Photography.